I deplore the nonsensical trope that "books" are A Good Thing: only some books are Good - and a small minority.
Others books are Bad, in the sense that they are actually intended (whether consciously or not) negatively to affect the reader. Indeed; nowadays this applies to a large majority of contemporary and famous books: fiction and non-fiction.
In particular reading the wrong books at certain times in our lives can do us spiritual harm.
Perhaps this only applies to people like me who seriously engage-with, and are thus influenced-by the books they read. In my experience, to do significant spiritual harm we must like, or at least admire, a book at the time of reading (for whatever reason - and the reason for liking/ admiring may itself be a bad one).
The first author to have a significantly bad influence on me was probably Michael Moorcock; whose Jerry Cornelius books I began reading aged 21 at a time when I was somewhat depressed, or at least frustrated. I also read quite a few other Moorcock books, but the Jerry Cornelius series were the ones that did the job.
I got onto Moorcok via another writer called Jack Trevor Story, who was a friend of Moorcock and said that M was one of the major living writers, an excellent writer.
So I read Moorcock with that expectation and belief; although I could not actually experience Moorcock's excellence. His prose seemed flat and drab, and I had great difficulty following what was happening.
This difficulty (deliberate, in these "experimental" novels) had the effect of making me engage more intensely on the basis that I "must be missing something"; and as a result Moorcock's calculatedly "hip" hedonistic nihilism synergized with my mood of the time to produce its bad effects.
A similar phenomenon came a couple of years later, when I read a good deal of Kurt Vonnegut, starting with Slaughterhouse 5 - which was actually recommended and lent to me by Alasdair Gray, at our first meeting.
Vonnegut is a far better writer than Moorcock; being extremely skilful at construction, highly inventive, and deeply witty in his early books (up to Breakfast of Champions).
But underneath this is an aggressively bleak, hope-less, and immiserating ideology; rooted in ultra-materialist assumptions; a trait that got worse and worse as V grew older.
Vonnegut apparently sets-out to generate the belief that despair is the only outcome of honest realism - and he did a pretty good job on me - again at a point in my life when I was tending that way myself.
In sum; at a couple of periods of my life in which - for whatever other reasons that were primarily causal - reading Moorcock and Vonnegut made bad things significantly worse; and tended to make me "get stuck" in a bad place.
My interpretation nowadays is that M and V were both people who had chosen the dark side in the spiritual war of this world; and who chose further to propagate and infect others with their negative world-view by means of their writing.
Moorcock - a lesser writer - did this in an obvious and in-your-face way; the brilliant Vonnegut sugared his bitter pill with wit and skill.
Consequently, I have no desire to re-read anything by either of them*, and on-the-whole regret the attention I once gave them.
*Except for Cat's Cradle by Vonnegut, which is such a well-written, ideas-packed, and clever black comedy, that it is worth the temporary net-depression of spirits induced by reading.
I couldn't agree more. I had a very similar experience with Vonnegut. They get you in the vulnerable moments and reinforce the negative feelings you're experiencing. The intellectuals push this in a way that makes you feel like you are soft if you don't like it, bullying you into the darkness.
ReplyDeleteI have been reading you for over 15 years and you've always proven to be a great source of warmth and light. Many thanks for all the thought provoking posts over the years.
@Rich. Many thanks! I'm very pleased to know I did not have that M/V effect on you.
ReplyDeleteHow synchronistic- after intentionally voiding Vonnegut for some 25 years, I am currently reading Slaughterhouse 5. Part of my tradition of reading wildly inappropriate books in third trimester (prior ones include Brave New World and Tess of the D’Urbervilles). I agree that he is an excellent writer speaking (luring) from the pit of despair. Yet while I’ve also had the experience of reading the wrong book at the wrong time and it being very bad for me, the older I get the more I find that the books that would have harmed me in youth instead strengthen me. A honing sort of thing, improving my ability to hold myself at a distance and maintain inner integrity while engaging with the work. Good practice for these End Times, I think. Even when I’ve failed a good bit at the appropriate detachment, such as reading Middlemarch during a very rough time two winters ago, I’m glad for the experience in the end. But then I have a more favorable view of suffering than you seem to. Leaning into suffering seems to be a middle-age thing in some people, whereas those in old age are much more likely to see growth through suffering as over-rated. So maybe I will change my mind later!
ReplyDeleteI absolutely HATE the blanket adoration of “books” and “reading.” I didn’t think it could get any more pervasive and pathetic, but lately I’ve noticed a plethora of home decor and holiday nick-nacks, especially Halloween ones, that are just reading-related humble-brags. “Read less, think more” would be my bumper-sticker if I thought it would do any good!
Somewhat recently I read some Dorothy Canfield Fischer (sp) on a friend’s recommendation. Like Elliot, she’s a superb psychological writer. It’s hard not to be carried along by her worldview (my friend certainly has been). But there’s so much that’s just goofy if you step back. I hesitate to have it around my kids. But then I hesitate about so many things. The propaganda aspect of children’s literature alarms me (I mean like Horatio Alger or even Ingalls-Wilder, not the more modern Litmus Test stuff). Very few authors seem to hit that sweet spot of complexity versus clarity. Lewis does and Blyton mostly does. Though a wretched person I’ve been satisfied with Jack London’s The Call of the Wild and White Fang for kids, surprisingly. I should probably put together a list of “someday books” I encourage my kids to read after age 25, on which all things Russian will be placed! I know too many people who lost years of their life due to reading Crime and Punishment in teen years/young adulthood.
Anyway, we very much appreciate your recommendations in our house! Blyton and Rosemary Suttcliffe in particular.
I've never read Vonnegut - I can hardly summon up the appetite for "literary" reading - but I know exactly what you mean by Moorcock. After watching some raving about Elric of Melnibone on Youtube, I read a few of the books, and I can hardly remember a single word. His material seems to thrive on a striking concept without ever much delivering on it. Certainly the concept of a sickly white-haired boy-emperor over a doomed sea kingdom roaming around doing quests is strong; probably anyone on this blog could do a better job with it than Moorcock ever did.
ReplyDeleteOne "comfort" read that I have is John C. Wright's little Superluminary epic sci-fi series, which has pulled me through multiple very dark places. A family of Olympian misfits, a boy-emperor, and the rest of the human race make a high-speed pilgrimage to escape the Milky Way galaxy, which is infested with suitable villains. For some reason, the story is a luminescent effect on my soul and mood.
@Mia -
ReplyDeleteI surely agree that one can benefit from reading bad (net evil-promoting) books (at the right time!) - indeed, there would be very little left to read if one did not! The same applies to operas, movies, plays, TV and the rest of it.
Contrary to what seems to be a common opinion, I suppose that a serious Christian ought to be much more able to get good from bad, and therefore profitably read and learn from the widest range of stuff - than a young atheist such as myself in late adolescence and early adulthood, which is probably the most vulnerable period for malign influences.
As a well known example; there is plenty wrong with the Harry Potter series from various perspectives; yet reading since I became a Christian, I recognize them as one of the most profoundly positive of experiences.
https://charltonteaching.blogspot.com/search?q=harry+potter
But I am more aware than most people how *personal* a thing is reading, and how crucial is timing; and I seldom find myself able to respond to generic book recommendations, and even recommendations from friends will often fall flat.
I did an MA in Eng Lit and had to read a couple of novels a week in one course, which I found very unpleasant. Even the one novel a month required of some book club's I have attended was experienced as an intrusive pressure to read somebody else's book at another person's convenience. This course (the modern novel) was just one I audited to help with the MA research; but to have done a batchelor's degree in English, where I would have been asked to read more than half a dozen novels a week would have killed me!
Although, interestingly, I found - and still find - it easier to read poetry, essays and plays "to order" than novels - which must be in my own time.
The first time I recall this, was being forced to read Tarka the Otter at school aged 12, by a well-meaning teacher who was trying to get me to move-on from Biggles - it was a slow torment to force myself through page after page, yet at another time I would have enjoyed it. Within about a year I had discovered Tolkien and - by choice, spontaneously - was avidly reading GB Shaw, Robert Graves, Shakespeare and Chaucer (in Middle English).
Also, books that would have left me cold in youth I now enjoy greatly and re-read - such as the early novels of Barbara Pym (which I must have read more than six times each) and the Fairacre novels of Miss Read - which I would have found lame and boring through most of my life.
A relatively recent discovery has been Agatha Christie. I positively disliked and was bored by that sort of book for most of my life, and completely avoided "mysteries". But now I am greatly enjoying Christie - having started by watching the TV adaptations of Poirot (David Suchet) and Miss Marple (Joan Hickson).
I wish you the best of good fortune with the rest of your pregnancy.
@Epi - I read JCW's Awake in the Night Land and was very impressed by it - https://charltonteaching.blogspot.com/2014/05/brief-no-spoilers-review-of-john-c.html - I can still picture the scenario and feel its atmosphere. I haven't gone back to re-read, yet.
ReplyDeleteThat’s a very good point about Christianity making the extraction of good from evil far more likely. That’s one of its primary jobs after all. Though I think youth is also simply weak in this way. I often feel I wasted my time reading from age 10 to 22-ish because I was doing a lot more projecting than understanding. But then I was an atheist, so…
ReplyDeleteI had a mystery phase as an early reader but currently am repulsed by them despite fond memories. Older people love mysteries, and I’ve never sussed out why. I’m curious if I’ll follow that trend eventually.
Sounds like a horror to “study English!” I was severely burned out on all forms of reading by undergrad, and I was a math & Econ major (albeit at a school with a significant liberal arts core requirement). Agree about book clubs. I may read a novel in a day or over the course of many months, it just depends.
JCW is fabulous, Superluminary one of my favs.
Yes, Awake in the Night Land is superlative. The original that it was based on - The Night Land by William Hope Hodgson - is well worth a read. He was of the same generation and background as the Inklings, but sadly he did not survive WW1. We might have had something on the scale of Lord of the Rings from him, had he survived.
ReplyDeleteI've read both those authors and I concur in your estimation.
ReplyDeleteAlthough I will go against the consensus here and admit that I do think, in general, both reading and books are good things in themselves! I mean, I wouldn't be too keen to press the Marquis de Sade's works into anybody's hands, but aside from that extreme...
I read Moorcock as a teen as well as numerous other fantasy authors (eg Leiber, Vance, Robert E Howard). I found that Moorcock didn’t have any staying power; never wanted to reread them. At the time I also read “splatterpunk” horror novels (Clive Barker, Joe Lansdale, David Schow etc) who even more egregiously propagated a negative world view. Back then I considered such books “just entertainment” but in retrospect I can see they reinforced the anxiety and depression I was feeling at the time.
ReplyDelete@JP - Interesting similarity. It's a strange but understandable tendency of people - in certain negative moods, and difficult stages of life - to home-in on exactly that which makes things worse. It's almost like testing oneself.
ReplyDeleteFor me books are more harmful than not. The first book I ever read was an autobiography of Jack Charlton that was on a shelf in the house. I was about fourteen. It was a harmless book. One of the next books at about sixteen was by Nietzsche which I found in a junk shop. The influence of his books at that age caused a lot of damage and repercussions that I'm still living with and probably will for the rest of my life. I find that books often introduce an overly (to me) mature perspective on life, introducing thoughts and dispositions I would never have thought up on my own and that are essentially corrupting of my nature.
ReplyDelete@Owen - Glad the Jack Charlton autobiog was harmless! - This is a superb video about his visit to Ashington in 1971
ReplyDeletehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NlnXq0QmLM
For me, this is my childhood holidays, three weeks a year in Easter and Summer, at Newbiggin by the Sea two miles up road from Ashington.
In the mid 1980s I regularly used to have lunch in the same small cafe as Big Jack and the Newcastle United team (Gazza, Beardsley etc) - I watched discreetly but never bothered them with interruptions.
BTW, as a child and for years I thought we were related to Jack and Bobby but, back as far as c1700, sadly we are not!
Owen, I've also read Jack Charlton's biography! He was of course a national hero in Ireland in my teenage years. It was a good book and I still think of many anecdotes in it-- such as Charlton getting a local paint company to paint Middlesborough's stadium for free when he was managing them, telling the director not to even mention it to them, and then getting an invoice when the director did so..
ReplyDeleteI also read a lot of Nietzsche (which started when I chanced on a photocopy of The Birth of Tragedy), although strangely enough I think Nietzsche helped lead me to Christianity. His ferocious rejection of utilitarianism and progressivism, especially the chapter on The Last Man in Thus Spake Zarathustra, helped me a lot.
@Mal - I do not think Nietzsche did me harm either, in the long run - and in the end it was valuable. But it probably was harmful in the short-term, and may have delayed beneficial things.
ReplyDeleteTiming is very individual - a book may be the straw that breaks the camels back at one point, and positively helpful at another phase of life.
Nietzsche was essentially a follower of Schopenhauer and Wagner his entire life. If you retain this basis, and I don’t think most people who read him are even familiar with it, the nihilism becomes less harmful. Wagner actually predicted Nietzsche’s later turn against Schopenhauer: “In the evening a letter from Prof. Nietzsche, which pleases us, for his mood had given us cause for concern. Regarding this, R. says he fears that Schopenhauer's philosophy might in the long run be a bad influence on young people of this sort, because they apply his pessimism, which is a form of thinking, contemplation, to life itself, and derive from it an active form of hopelessness.”Schopenhauer’s pessimism is basically what is found in Shakespeare, but also the peculiarity of sensibility such as in his easily refutable conception of happiness as being negative as an absence of evil (one could just as well frame pain as being negative as an absence or violation of what is good). He had a naive view of India and Indian spirituality which he could only maintain given his limited exposure, and unfairly dismisses the Hebrew Bible which is really the most morally advanced of ancient texts. Schopenhauer had the superior mind and comprehension of the world - and on that account is perhaps more dangerous as many will be overwhelmed by his genius and be compelled to accept what may be errors along with his insights. Nietzsche on the other hand went crazy and his work is fairly fragmented so it is easy for people to dismiss what they don’t like or understand and then take what they do. This may in part be why there is so much vulgarity and stupidity attached to Nietzsche’s name in the public mind. This is a great irony and it really cracks me up because he was so self-consciously aristocratic in setting himself against common people. Somewhere he says that Hugo and Wagner lacked greatness because of their double vision of appealing to both the specialist connoisseur as well as to the mass public. But no Philosopher is as beloved by the people as Frederich Nietzsche.
ReplyDelete