Thursday, 18 April 2013

Eternal peace versus eternal striving? Or a cycle of refreshment?

*

Endless striving, in mortal life and then eternity, is to me a somewhat horrific prospect!

I think it is probably a weakness in me - a lack of vitality - that I often tend to fantasize about attaining an ultimate state of peace in which there is a stasis of rest, vaguely conceptualized as aware, blissful and endless sleep.

I see this as my Platonic mood - a wish to enter into and lose-myself-in the world of eternal forms: in an everlasting moment...

*

But this is probaby a pernicious desire. A living death surely cannot be one's aim - even if the emotions were pleasant.

A more viable thing would be to see a life in a day: a day as a life.

To be embarked-upon, adventured, and then to end in a little death of sleep - with expectation of re-birth next day.

*

So, although the prospect of endless striving would be, for me, terrifying; it becomes much less so, and perhaps indeed appealing, when there is hope of a cyclical process of waking-striving and sleeping-resting - a cycle of refreshment.

*