Wednesday, 25 February 2015

My MA thesis is online, apparently

Well, who'd have thunk it? My thesis The Literature of Alasdair Gray, which was awarded the degree of Magister Artium by the University of Durham, England in 1988 - is available online!

So you can all read it, and I will set a test next week...

It was a one year research degree in English Literature (like a mini-PhD), and I lived in University College, Durham - which is in a castle

And ate my meals at high table in the Hogwartsian Great Hall

It was certainly one of the most enjoyable years of my pre-married life - full of reading, arts, writing, ritual and good conversation - but got me into rather bad habits of self-indulgence and dependence on external stimulation; so that it was followed by a rather miserable 'down' from which I did not emerge for several years.

I thought my thesis was pretty good for just one year's work - the second half of it (the library work) was later published as a book chapter.

Strangely, although this year briefly made me into the world expert on Alasdair Gray; and although I later went to live near him in Glasgow, got to know him pretty well and helped him in little ways with several novels and plays; I haven't re-read anything of his for a long time or kept up with his later work... so it goes.



The Continental Op said...

Ha ha, I don't know how you feel about your thesis, but the thought of reading my own dissertation is embarrassing. Not that it was shabby the time.

Bruce Charlton said...

@CoOp - I have no intention ever of re-reading it. I came across it when looking up something about Colin Wilson.