Saturday, 29 August 2026

Is Catholic Monarchy the answer to the unsustainability and decline of The West?

Given that the modern West is evidently both collapsing and being actively destroyed; it is natural to seek for another political-social-cultural form that is known to be sustainable. And the only known Western society that actually was sustained over centuries was Catholic monarchy (whether Western-Roman Catholic, or Eastern Orthodox Catholic). 

(Several types of agrarian religious monarchy - not just Christian - seemed to be stable enough to be sustainable across multiple generations; but I am talking here about "Christendom".)  

Those who have read my 2011 book Thought Prison (linked in the sidebar) will know that this was my conclusion some fifteen years ago: that either the West went back to a (more or less) zero growth (minimal innovation) society based on agriculture on the model of Catholic Monarchy, or else civilizational extinction loomed (by collapse, or takeover by another religious monarchy).  

At the time, I regarded Catholic Monarchy as a genuine possibility, but something that could not happen unless there was first a spiritual and religious awakening. 

In other words, we could not "use" religion as a means to the end of Catholic monarchy - the "Catholic" must come first, and for its own sake; and then monarchy would naturally evolve.   

And I regarded this as very, very unlikely - but possible; and therefore it was what I worked and hoped for. 


However; I have since come to believe that Catholic Monarchy is not just very unlikely, but actually impossible. 

It will not happen because it cannot happen. 

The reason that I believe it cannot happen is that I have come to believe that the cultural change by which Catholic Monarchy disappeared everywhere, was caused by changes in human consciousness. 

(The change in Men drove the changed culture, not the other way around.) 

In general terms; by species-wide (although with different rates among different peoples) one-way changes in the way that Men perceive, understand, think, reason, relate to the world etc - including changes in instincts and intuitions. 

And because modern Men are so very different, no society of the past can be recreated. 


In the first place, modern Men don't want it, and cannot be made to want it - at least not want it enough to create and sustain it. 

(Idealistic Daydreams don't suffice.) 

And, even if (for the sake of argument) the formal structure of Catholic Monarchy was (somehow) fully re-imposed on a Western nation; because the "ingredients" (individual Men) have changed, the societal-"recipe" would yield a different outcome - a different final product: not a Catholic Monarchy of the classical-medieval type. 


If you ask me: If not, then what? When I say that Catholic Monarchy cannot happen, then what do I suggest instead as a way of saving the West?

To which my answer is simply that the West cannot be saved: firstly because it does not want to be saved, indeed wants to kill itself... 

But secondly because - as far as I can see - the number and severity of interacting problems make an end inevitable. 

These are indeed the End Times. 


Therefore; I regard the question of how to save the West as rooted in false assumptions; the proper question is individual not societal; how to save our-selves and those we love - and I mean "save" spiritually, not physically - regardless of our situation, regardless of how bad it is. 

We can do little physically except delay inevitabilities* (although plenty of people delude themselves otherwise, and defend their delusions with hysterical aggression!); when caught-up in major civilizational changes such as wars, famines, (real) epidemics, mass poisonings, social breakdown etc.

But, if we recognize the nature of the changes of consciousness, we can see that the same changes that have made Catholic Monarchy impossible, are also the same changes that make it possible for anybody and everybody in all possible circumstances to know and follow Jesus Christ...

To live and learn with loving creativity; and at the end of mortal life, to do what is necessary for us accept the gift of resurrected eternal life. 




*There is a vast middle ground between passive despairing nihilism and doing nothing, on the one hand; and on the other hand, by our personal socio-political choices and actions contributing substantively to stopping and reversing Western civilizational destruction. That middle ground includes doing some-things of some-value that are worth doing in our personal and experiential orbit. This personal orbit stuff may even be a duty. But it is altogether and qualitatively different from having a role in stopping and reversing civilizational destruction. 

7 comments:

Paul Burghout said...

Rome wasn’t saved either. Yet it became Christendom.

Bruce Charlton said...

@Paul B - Umm. Not sure what you mean. The empire survived about another thousand years after the destruction of Rome. After all, the capital had moved to Constantinople four-plus generations earlier than the sacking of Rome.

Mia said...

I don’t know if it’s specifically an American thing, but Christians here seem to assume it’s not possible that God could be calling them to fail. Ofc we are told to judge by fruits and God never calls us to fail in an ultimate spiritual sense, so I don’t think the perspective is without any basis. But in these times I do think we are being called to learn how to work diligently at materially hopeless tasks while growing our spiritual hope. I don’t have a great example but this ties into things like loving individuals from a distance and replacing broad missionary work like handing out bibles in Uganda with the much more difficult work of ministering to close friends and family. It’s so individualized I struggle to describe it, because I don’t mean harassing people about Jesus or repeating awkward invitations to church over and over, although it could mean that from time to time. But to your point what I mean is I see people drawn to the public sphere because it’s easy to fake success there by defining metrics- oh we got so many votes or handed out so many Bibles or raised so much money. And it simply isn’t getting the heart. Versus the private sphere efforts where you can’t ignore your failures.

Paul Burghout said...

If the Ancient World could transform into Christendom, surely something can be fashioned from whatever it is we're living in today.

Bruce Charlton said...

@Paul B - That isn't relevant IMO - because far too many things have changed irrevocably - especially over the past 400 years.

Paul Burghout said...

Yet Man remains ‘not wholly lost nor wholly changed’.

Bruce Charlton said...

@Paul B - Indeed.

But that does not translate to an assurance of replicating past social systems.

Jesus's offer of salvation is as valid as ever; but the institutional means to that ultimate end has significantly changed everywhere: in every denomination and every church, and outside of them.