Tuesday, 20 January 2015

Tears streaming in seconds...

*

I was listening to a Liszt piano transcription of the Liebestod from Wagner's Tristan and Isolde, when I though I would listen to the original - sung - version of the piece; and found one performed by Jessye Norman under Karajan conducting the Vienna Philharmonic.

From a standing-start and within some ridiculously short period of time, ten to fifteen seconds perhaps, tears were streaming down my face and I was gulping for breath - and then matters got worse.

*

This is an almost viciously beautiful performance combining one of the most wonderful of arias/ pieces of music; with a gorgeous voice, consummate orchestral playing, and simply sublime musicianship from one of the greatest-ever conductors.

If you insist on inflicting this upon yourself then jump in at about 4 minutes 30 seconds; just listen, don't watch the video; and hold on tight.

But at your own risk: I will accept no responsibility.



*