Tuesday, 31 March 2015

Lloyd Alexander biographical documentary

A fascinating, and highly-recommended hour-long biographical film about Lloyd Alexander has been posted on YouTube recently -

I have a special affection for Alexander's Prydain Chronicles series, which I have read multiple times, including aloud as a bedtime book - and Alexander comes across through the text as an exceptionally likeable author.

I found-out about these books from Lin Carter mentioning them positively in A Look Behind The Lord of the Rings, and was delighted when the first three volumes (only)  came-out in an inexpensive UK paperback - the final two volumes were only published considerably later. They have a special, earnest charm and good-humour about them which I find to be a wholesome tonic.

I knew nothing about Alexander until I read an intriguing interview in a book about fantasy authors; then, - after he died in 2007 - I found a TV programme recording a delightful visit to his home -

Alexander had a remarkable and unique face; and it seems that the face contained the truth about his nature: he was an absolutely driven author, a misfit and maverick in the world, he suffered badly from depression, he was kindly, idealistic and much loved. It is all written there.


drizzz said...

Thank you for sharing the documentary, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

ajwhet10 said...

I am anxious to watch it. He is an author for whom I feel great admiration and affection. THANK YOU!

Bruce Charlton said...

You are welcome - pleased to help a fellow enthusiast.