Thursday 28 March 2019

How can we best help the salvation of others?

It is potentially a major worry for Christians that those whom we love may not choose to be saved.

And given that each person can only make this decision for himself; and given that many people nowadays seem immune to even the most serious and sustained efforts at evangelism - one can sometimes feel helpless against the corrupting influence of The World.

As if those we love are being swept irresistibly away while we can only look on helplessly.

But I do not believe the situation is as bad as that.


My understanding is that we are bound to Jesus, and to the Father, by networks of human love Jesus describes how this works in relation to the disciples in John 15:

[9] As the Father hath loved me, so have I loved you: continue ye in my love. .. [12] This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you. [13] Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. [14] Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you. [15] Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you.

My understanding is that Jesus is describing how networks of love link Men, and link Men to himself and to the Father - indeed in the Fourth Gospel Jesus puts great emphasis on this kind of loving network.


I think these networks have implications that enhance the scope of salvation. Any individual who chooses to accept the gift of Jesus will serve as a direct link to the reality of that gift for all those with whom he has a loving relation. This applies during mortal life - but more importantly afterwards.

So that a soul who has not yet chosen Jesus, and perhaps disbelieves in God the Father; will nonetheless know directly the reality of salvation via the bonds of love with a Christian.

He may then choose to believe-on Jesus, have faith, desire the gift of life everlasting in a loving state in Heaven... which choice might not otherwise have happened, if his knowledge of such matters had remained merely indirect and theoretical.


This is my interpretation of what Jesus was doing by creating this network of love between himself and his Father the Creator on one side; and the other side the world of Men - beginning with the disciples and the other followers who loved Jesus - his family (Mother, Brothers...), Lazarus, Martha, Mary Magdalene of Bethany --- and on out, and extending-into the rest of Mankind.

For a Christian; Love is, I think, is the most powerful 'method' of evangelism - because it transcends the limitations of communication; and moves into the realm of direct knowledge.

We simply love Jesus - and through him the Creator; and we love our 'neighbours'; some of our fellow Men.

...Not an abstract and universal 'love of humanity' kind of thing; but the objective and solid, rare and most-powerful love we should have for some family and for real-friends.

1 comment:

Chent said...

Really beautiful, Bruce. Thanks for sharing