So much depends on motivation; but can it be improved?
Yes, I think so - but this is not easy or straightforward, and needs to be approached indirectly.
(I mean, we cannot - because it does not work, and anyway is not what is required - simply decide on what is better, and then do-it by sheer will-power. A process of discovery is entailed.)
First; we need to stop trying to fulfil somebody-else's agenda.
This is, of course, merely negative and permissive: we then need to replace external motivation with an internal motivation that is both good, and sufficiently powerful to make a difference.
Secondly, therefore, we must discover our inner agenda - but that inner discernment needs to focus upon our eternal agenda.
By "eternal" I particularly mean our post-mortal agenda: i.e. what do we want to happen to us on a timescale going beyond death*: an open-ended timescale.
And this eternal agenda, in turn, depends on what we most value.
We need, therefore, to discover/ decide what is is that we most want.
For example (others will disagree); I personally most-value love, and from that creativity. In other words; what I most value and want on an open-ended basis, would be to live in a context of permanent inter-personal love, and to be active in creative (which includes procreative) ways.
For me, therefore, having clarified my ultimate motivation; I am then in a position both to improve and strengthen my here-and-now and proximate motivation - so that current behaviour better fits the intended goal.
How this can work is that - having made this choice and commitment - I can (and should) explore this imaginatively.
...Imagining that I am in the situation I believe that I want; and following-up its consequences and possibilities; to check that it really is what I want; and most want.
If the initial choice of wanting survives that test; then my motivation is improved by being brought into-line with what I most want; and strengthened by my having explored and affirmed what this wanting actually implies.
+++
*Any this-worldly agenda is merely expedient; being temporary and destined to fail, because of unavoidable entropy and death - plus, of course, the presence of evil.
2 comments:
Nothing to add. I just want to say that I find this post incredibly helpful, Bruce. Thank you!
Thanks for the feedback - appreciated.
Post a Comment