Thursday 23 January 2014

Review of Kindle novelization of The Book of Jer3miah: Premonition, by Luisa Perkins & Jared Adair

*

I saw some of this show-in-short-segments on YouTube, following a discussion on the Junior Ganymede blog http://www.jrganymede.com/2009/08/05/the-book-of-jer3miah/ - 

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheBookOfJer3miah

And I was sufficiently intrigued to take a look at the novelization on Kindle, initially at the Sample - but then I accidentally bought the whole thing (for nine pounds and five pence! - too much).

So then I had to read it!

*

I liked it a lot. The book is written in a simple and accessible fashion at a young teen level; but the general set-up was very interesting and appealing.

The book is a conspiracy-theory supernatural thriller - of broadly the same genre as Charles Williams novels. That is to say it starts-out with ordinary mundane life which is very soon invaded, on the one hand, by peril - and on the other hand, there is a breakdown of the barriers between the natural and the supernatural.

So, this is a fantasy heroic quest, but in the midst of our world. It is a Mormon novel - set in and around Brigham Young University in Utah; and the supernatural elements have a Mormon context and set of references.

*

As the hero is confronted by trials and tribulations, he progresses and back-slides to attain a convincing breakthrough at the end and becomes an example of how we should live.

The end of this novel was not a complete closure but more of a set-up for the next stage in the spiritual journey.

But the end as it stands was satisfying enough, in an ...I go to encounter for the millionth time the reality of experience and to forge in the smithy of my soul the uncreated conscience of my race... kind of way.

3 comments:

Adam G. said...

I'm intrigued, but gah, the price!

Luisa Perkins said...

I completely agree that the price is far too high. I'm glad you enjoyed it, though.

Bruce Charlton said...

@LP - I liked what you did with the novel version (don't tell them - but I liked it better than the movie! [bearing in mind I saw only series 1] - deeper and more spiritual).