Sunday 19 January 2014

The best piece by Beethoven that you have (probably) never heard

*

The Choral Fantasy Op 80 (for piano, orchestra and chorus).

A self-contained 20 minute concert piece that is just sheer delight from beginning to end - and full of absolutely characteristic touches.

This is the version I got in 1977, on a Classics for Pleasure (bargain price) LP, by one of my very favourite Beethoven pianists: John Lill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3thfa_XrC8


Lill gave one of the most memorable concerts I ever attended - a lecture-recital at the non-mainstream venue of Ashington Technical College. The highlight was when he played a Liszt Transcendental study. To see this performed close-up, and done by probably the premier British pianist of that time - and a player of unsurpassed power (a big man - domed head, broad shoulders, meaty hands - looming over the keyboard) - was something thrilling. I thought the instrument was going to collapse at several points! - but the execution was always lyrical and (apparently) technically flawless. 

*

2 comments:

Jonathan C said...

I didn't know this was a rare piece. I listen to it all the time. I have a version from the DG Complete Beethoven Edition (the volume of choral pieces) with Evgeny Kissin playing. It's the only version I know, so I can't say how it compares, but it's so very good I just assumed it was a warhorse.

Though now that I think about it, concerto+choral pieces don't get staged all that often, do they?

Ian said...

I really enjoy the musical posts you put up!