Wednesday 26 December 2018

William James Tychonievich evaluates my new mini-book "Lazarus Writes"

William James Tychonievich has been reading my new book on the Fourth Gospel - and evaluating the arguments.

William JT is the longest-running commenter on this blog, and somebody I have learned a lot from over the years - including about this very topic; so it is well worth reading what he has to say.

His comments also prompted me to take the argument a bit further, or to make it more explicit at any rate; in a comment I made after William's analysis - I have subsequently incorporated these points into the text of Lazarus Writes (just before the Conclusion).

Note: You can see from the comments that William in fact evaluated the arguments with reference to the original posts from this blog; rather than having read them in the actual Lazarus Writes mini-book that was compiled from these original posts.

3 comments:

Wm Jas Tychonievich said...

Actually, I have not yet read Lazarus Writes, but I have read all your posts on the topic, of which I understood the book to be essentially a compilation. If it now includes new material, I shall of course have to read it.

Bruce Charlton said...

@WmJas - You are correct - there is nothing substantive that is different about the book; except for the bit I added today derived from my comment at your blog.

a_probst said...

As far as I know, John never uses the personal pronoun for himself until it was absolutely necessary, in the Book of Revelation. In his Gospel, modesty and humility would prevent him from mentioning himself in other than the third person.

As I said in a past comment, if he is still alive I picture him as living in a remote cloister where only the Father Abbot and the older monks know who he really is.