Saturday, 5 January 2013

Observing the Sabbath

*

I was browsing through the Ten Commandments in the Catechism of the Book of Common Prayer, as one does, and noticed the phrase at the end of the Second:

For I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, and visit the sins of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me, and shew mercy unto thousands in them that love me and keep my commandments.  

...and keep my commandments.

*

Of which number IV is to keep holy the Sabbath day... In it thou shalt do no manner of work...

And I realized that I was not even trying to fulfil this commandment.

*

So, from this Sabbath I resolve not to do work, which means no blogging - and no distracting or entertaining myself reading blogs, or the news, or amusing myself with distractions, or gossiping.

When I am not doing directly Christian things (Church, Scripture, Edifying matter, Prayer etc); I need to devote the Sabbath to sustaining and strengthening Home and Family (which purpose includes chores, repairs; and also reasonably-wholesome group activities which serve to strengthen and sustain the family).

No doubt I will forget and fail in this observation of the Sabbath - but when I do forget or fail I will need to repent and ask forgiveness, and resolve to try again.

*

NOTE ADDED 3 March 2012 - I failed to live up to this resolution - in fact my Sabbath observance is much worse now than when I made it. This demonstrates - as well as my own feebleness - the dangers inherent in such resolutions.