Tuesday, 2 June 2015

Reader's Question: What do you think about Russia?

*
Reader's Question: What is your opinion of present day Russia and do you think Vladimir Putin is a sincere Christian?

My Answer: Perhaps these need to be considered in reverse order?

Yes, I think Putin is a sincere Christian - therefore, I believe that he and others are trying, long-term, to restore Holy Russia (i.e. the Byzantine model of a society ruled as a unity by an anointed Christian monarch).

In this I wish Russia well - I think it is that nation's divine destiny to do this - however, that destiny must be chosen, and could (easily) be rejected or corrupted.

Given the assumption that Putin is a sincere Christian who genuinely wants to restore the Orthodox Church to a central place in Russia; I don't think it ought to be regarded as difficult to justify my attitude, if you ask 'compared with what?'

Russia has a stark choice - Western New Left, politically-correct Progressivism (and joining us in self-hating willed-suicide), or else a restored Byzantium.

It's a no-brainer, as far as I am concerned.

*