Friday, 26 June 2015

The good of Swedenborg - videos by Curtis Childs

I have recently said some rather negative things about Swedenborg - this is misleading and I am (already) feeling guilty about it!

The fact is that I regard Swedenborg as a true Mystical Christian, but I just cannot digest his writings.

On The Other Hand; I very much like the video reflections of a young Swedenborgian chap called Curtis Childs - which have been regularly posted on YouTube over the past year; I especially like some of these One Minute vids:

Childs is a communicator of extraordinary ability and effectiveness - and can be genuinely inspiring.

Clearly, he is a man of his generation in terms of speech style and liberal/ new age-compatible socio-politics; but in these and other videos on the Off The Left Eye site sponsored by the Swedenborg Foundation, he functions a kind of one-man-band of evangelism and engagement with modern disaffected youth which much larger Christian organizations can only regard with awe, wish-for, and perhaps learn-from.

One individual can make a significant difference.


Olof said...

I don't think you were being overly critical - I've seen stronger reservations and disclaimers in translator's forewords to Swedenborg books. For me, the entire subject has been of the "The more I learn, the less certain I become" variety.

And here is Curtis Childs (
"The Writings of Emanuel Swedenborg became hazardous to my health for a little while. Swedenborg’s teachings are awesome, but I found that they have the potential to be a little bit dangerous because they can give your fears a lot of ammunition". I can personally attest that reading Swedenborg in a non-dismissive state of mind can be quite unsettling as well as quite inspiring. For example:

Unfortunately, the many similarites between Swedenborg's teachings and Mormon doctrine seem to mostly intrest ex-mormons seeking to accuse Joseph Smith of plagiarism. is the best treatment I've found so far.

Bruce Charlton said...


Thanks for the links. Of course, 'influence' is inevitably put forward as the reason for similarity if supernatural reasons are ruled-out a priori.