Monday, 20 July 2015

A cloudy summer

The kind of thing I have not been seeing, lately 
- a well-known landmark tree on Hadrian's Wall

I haven't seen the night sky properly in a long time - probably six weeks, could be more... I am losing track.

Partly because it does not get fully dark until about 11 pm at this time of year, and partly because it has been cloudy more-or-less the whole time.

The weather has been generally dry, we have had warm days, some sunshine, some strong winds, pretty high humidity, and quite a few evening thunderstorms - but the sky is almost never clear; or if it is, then just briefly.

I think the main reason is the wind direction - and the fact that there is wind.

I must say, I find it a bit depressing not to see the stars for so long a stretch - indeed I have hardly even seen the moon during hours of darkness; since it goes-along near to the horizon at the solstices - not getting high in the sky - and there are buildings, leafing trees or (the inevitable) clouds blocking the view for much for the time.

But I notice the difference. I miss the moon, planets, stars; and I will appreciate the night skies even more than I did before; when, eventually, I get to see them again.

*