Thursday 8 November 2018

Blondie: Atomic - For your Beautiful Doomed Youth moods...


Blondie were one of the very best New Wave bands (late 1970s early 80s); with several first rate singles. Atomic is certainly one of their finest - an extraordinary composition and superbly performed, which repays repeated listening

What I like about this: The Duane Eddy style guitar riff repeating over modal harmonies, the driving hi-hat percussion, and superb bass playing - here and throughout. The unexpected key changes between sections. The subtle way that synthesisers are used - hardly noticeable early and coming forward throughout. The way that the everything drops-out to almost nothing halfway, merely synth keeping-time, before rebuilding via a bass solo, and drum break, leading back to the main riff and the full-on sound.

As usual, Debbie Harry's vocals are outstanding; especially her low register singing.

The general atmosphere projected is decadent, appropriate to that era and that stage of my life: partying on the verge of (perceived) annihilation - alluring but deadly.  

8 comments:

John Fitzgerald said...

'Baker Street' is another tune from that era which conjures up that decadent late-70s vibe, I think.

Wm Jas Tychonievich said...

I think you mean "New Wave." "New Age" is more Mannheim Steamroller.

Bruce Charlton said...

@Wm - Yes, of course - corrected. Migraines give me a degree of aphasia, and I get lots of them; so plenty needs correcting.

The Social Pathologist said...

@Bruce.

I side of you I didn't know.......and definitely like!

What a woman!

Nathaniel said...

I think that attitude was the same in the 90's and 2000's. Angsty teenage stuff. Even the cartoons and movies kids were growing up on seemed kinda dark, end-of-the-worldish.

Nathaniel said...

Thanks for your recommendations. I would have never heard Steeleye Span (except from your blog) or that Wuthering Heights song... sends chills.

Wm Jas Tychonievich said...

I guess I must be in a Beautiful Doomed Youth mood, because I can't stop listening to this.

Bruce Charlton said...

@William it got me like that too - I even woke up singing it...

This is the original BDY video version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Tko1G6XRiQ