These days are the death throes of Christianity as an institution-defined and institution-led phenomenon; the death throes of Christianity as a thing church-defined and church-rooted.
Those who follow institutions will be led away from Jesus, will not follow Jesus.
Those who follow Jesus will be led away from institutions.
2 comments:
Bruce,
As I continue my reread (I am currently in the Houses of Healing after the Battle of Pelenor Fields), I have been struck by what you have written.
Last week I had a conversation with a fellow minister about this subject. Although, i did not say death throes, I did basically tell him that the decay that we see happening in the West is affecting the church also.
I gleaned this during my reread. How Tolkien handles the decay of Gondor (its people and its leadership), the deception that gripped Rohan, mirrors many things in our time.
My friend wasn't ready for what I had to say. He isn't a Tolkien reader, so I pointed him to scripture. Anytime a messianic figure appeared, it was a time of great spiritual darkness and decay. Jesus, our savior appears in a time of great spiritual darkness and deception. Tolkien captures this perfectly.
Thanks for the comment!
Post a Comment