Friday, 18 September 2026

How can we improve and strengthen our motivation?

So much depends on motivation; but can it be improved?  

Yes, I think so - but this is not easy or straightforward, and needs to be approached indirectly. 


(I mean, we cannot - because it does not work, and anyway is not what is required - simply decide on what is better, and then do-it by sheer will-power. A process of discovery is entailed.) 


First; we need to stop trying to fulfil somebody-else's agenda. 

This is, of course, merely negative and permissive: we then need to replace external motivation with an internal motivation that is both good, and sufficiently powerful to make a difference.


Secondly, therefore, we must discover our inner agenda - but that inner discernment needs to focus upon our eternal agenda. 

By "eternal" I particularly mean our post-mortal agenda: i.e. what do we want to happen to us on a timescale going beyond death*: an open-ended timescale.  


And this eternal agenda, in turn, depends on what we most value. 

We need, therefore, to discover/ decide what is is that we most want. 

For example (others will disagree); I personally most-value love, and from that creativity. In other words; what I most value and want on an open-ended basis, would be to live in a context of permanent inter-personal love, and to be active in creative (which includes procreative) ways. 


For me, therefore, having clarified my ultimate motivation; I am then in a position both to improve and strengthen my here-and-now and proximate motivation - so that current behaviour better fits the intended goal. 

How this can work is that - having made this choice and commitment - I can (and should) explore this imaginatively.

...Imagining that I am in the situation I believe that I want; and following-up its consequences and possibilities; to check that it really is what I want; and most want. 


If the initial choice of wanting survives that test; then my motivation is improved by being brought into-line with what I most want; and strengthened by my having explored and affirmed what this wanting actually implies.

+++


*Any this-worldly agenda is merely expedient; being temporary and destined to fail, because of unavoidable entropy and death - plus, of course, the presence of evil. 

3 comments:

Fridolin Jetzer said...

Nothing to add. I just want to say that I find this post incredibly helpful, Bruce. Thank you!

Bruce Charlton said...

Thanks for the feedback - appreciated.

Colin said...

So having become clear on this eternal agenda , I ask myself what is the relationship between now and my eternal agenda.

“so that current behaviour better fits the intended goal.”

Ie what does “fits” mean?

I find Arkle helpful (as an alternative to it being some sort of earning, some process of gold stars which I always hated as a kid).
His model of it being more like a school with stages of learning that one chooses to enter in to.
Which then leads me to the conclusion, that I might as well get started now!
Cos it will prepare me as well as possible for the future. And through the living comes the necesssary learning and preparation for whatever comes next. Even though I don’t understand very well what the process in the future is.
(you don’t worry about the details of A-level studies whilst doing O-levels).