Tuesday 16 July 2024

What made me "a writer"

When I was a late teenager and young adult; I envisaged being "a writer"; by which I meant some kind of creative writer - if not as a living, as a significant side-line to my job. 

Aside from a few comedy sketches for performance in revues, and scientific articles for journals (which were collaborative) I did not "publish anything much in the way of writing until I was about 28; when something "clicked"; and I suddenly became able to write fluently and quickly (and get published, and quite often paid for) essays and journalistic pieces. 

For the next couple of decades I published a great deal of this kind of stuff - and we have in the past couple of days been sorting through many boxes of such material that had been piled-up in various places for many years. 


I found it amazing, and somewhat appalling, to rediscover the sheer quantity and variety of these outpourings. 

Quite aside from a couple of hundred mainstream "papers" and a few books (which were done in relation to my academic job); it seems I also did a very large number of editorials, book reviews, comments, commentaries and columns, in all kinds of places. 

I must have been publishing something every week or two for many years. These were placed in all sorts of publications: prestigious scientific and medical journals, national newspapers and magazines; and also numerous obscure and small-circulation outputs such as literary and cultural "small magazines", professional and trade journals, and local "in house" magazines and newspapers for places I worked (and places I didn't work - e.g. I published scores of things in the Oxford Magazine).  

So I really did end-up as "a writer" - albeit I found my niche in "non fiction" rather than in the poems, plays, short-stories and novels which I attempted to write - and failed to write well - in the first decade of adulthood.  


From 2010; I all-but ceased to do this kind of paper-work, apart from four books done for Buckingham University Press and a handful of scientific papers - and instead began to blog on a daily (actually about 1.5 pieces per day) basis. This blogging amounts to a broadly similar number of words as I used to publish on-paper. 

And, up to now (who knows what comes next) this continues. 

What is strange is that (as I mentioned) it took a good decade of trying before I was able to write; at least I could not before age 28 write in the way I have found enjoyable and straightforward since. 

Partly this was a matter of psychological maturing, partly a matter of finding the form within-which my writing flows; and partly it was the "training" of writing scientific papers, journal articles - which activity made me unselfconscious and gradually take an objective attitude towards what I had written...


As a young would-be writer, I could not tell whether what I had written was any good; because I judged my own writing from the inside, and could not see how it struck other people. 

Once I learned how to do this self-monitoring: learned how to evaluate what I had written by the same standards I would apply to what other people had written - this seemed to provide the break-though I needed.  

It was writing scientific papers (as first author) and then having them critiqued and corrected by my doctoral supervisor, and other research collaborators; that did the trick for me. 

Which I still find surprising! - but that was what happened: that was what made "a writer" of me (i.e. a writer of the kind I am, and have been).  


Note: The other thing I was good at was teaching. But that was a thing I never needed to learn. I was good at it from the first attempt. This may be hereditary; since there are several good teachers in my family; including father, siblings, and a child. 

5 comments:

Epimetheus said...

I desperately want to be a writer, but I haven't worked out your "breakthrough." Very interesting that having an externalized perspective helped so much.

Bruce Charlton said...

@Epi - What worked for me may not (probably would not) work for others - but I think the principle may be generalizable: I mean, we need to be able to see our own writing "from the outside". Before the breakthrough I did not know if my writing was any good, or not - which meant it wasn't.

the outrigger said...

Did it mean you acquired the ability to spot your own typos?

Bruce Charlton said...

@to - Ovbiously not.

Thomas said...

I was wondering if you could share some about your process for writing the type of material in this blog? Do you just wake up each day and write whatever is on your mind, or do you plan it out ahead of time?