Thursday 11 April 2019

Christian evangelism or not?

This blog is mainly about "Christianity" . Originally it was meant to convert atheists of the same general type as I had been, and convert them to some kind of 'orthodoxy' as members of a church that adhered to traditional values.

It changed, under pressure from my Romantic nature, into something much more metaphysical. Trying to get at the fundamental basis of reality, in frame of the fundamental basis of Christianity.

It changed as I understood Mormonism more deeply, and as I engaged with Barfield, Steiner and Arkle.

It is still changing.

I see little scope for evangelism of the kind I began with. In the typical majority modern person, there is a deadly combination of complacency, incomprehension, indifference, boredom and hostility when it comes to Christianity - or indeed any kind of deep thinking.

I am writing, therefore, for a minority of a minority. A collection of individuals who do not form a real or even potential Group.

I currently see my task as being something on the lines of helping such people prepare for the actual or incipient situation in which they live in a wholly hostile sociopolitical environment, without any institutional support.

 A lesson I have drawn is that I needed to stop yearning for an external group to which I could subordinate myself, as the basis of Christian living. This was difficult for me, and somewhat against my nature and habits; but the lesson was clear and repeated, and eventually I accepted it.

Further, no method or system can work. Nor will anything good happen unconsciously, naturally or spontaneously.

We each must work out our own specific path in all seriousness and simplicity. I suppose that is the negative 'lesson' of modern evangelism...

To which I would add: be Romantic in a serious and simple way, and keep at it.


3 comments:

David said...

"be Romantic in a serious and simple way, and keep at it."

If at first you don't succeed,repent and...try again!

Francis Berger said...

"I currently see my task as being something on the lines of helping such people prepare for the actual or incipient situation in which they live in a wholly hostile sociopolitical environment, without any institutional support."

This does indeed seem like the only realistic, prudent, and helpful path going forward. The hostile sociopolitical environment grows increasingly hostile with each passing day. You can feel it solidifying everywhere. And you're correct - no institutions will offer meaningful support of any kind.

Don said...

I have seen your positions become clearer since I began reading. Our interests are similar although I have always been Christian. Your other works are as interesting this is the most personal to me though.

Don