Sunday 25 December 2022

"Upon a hungry desert isle" - by Herb Alpert


Torquay United "The Gulls" squad 1968-9

Featured below is a big favourite tune of mine - especially when singing the above lyrics, which I invented with my sister. 

I used regularly to go and watch Torquay United Football Club in the late 1960s - this was their theme tune; and I never knew its 'real' name. 

A school exercise book from that era survived; in which we (apparently) had to write an 'obituary' looking back on our lives as an exercise.

In this I report that I had first been a professional footballer starting at Torquay (which are, and always have been - mediocre, a third or fourth tier club at best) before moving onto greater things (including a couple of Nobel Prizes). Yet, they featured in my wildest daydreams!

Outside of my own imagination, I was never better than a moderately good footballer even at Primary School - in the school 11-a-side team, but I failed to make the 6-a-side team (obviously some kind of error, I presumed...). I put my hopes in being a late developer.

So, ladies and gentlemen, I give you: Upon a hungry desert isle!;



No comments: