Wednesday 9 December 2020

Chronic fear is a sin - and we urgently need to acknowledge this fact

Just a reminder to myself and all of us; that chronic fear is a sin - because it means that we are failing to trust in God. 

Yet of course it is a sin to which most Christians are prone - and sometimes we react to realistic pessimism about the future with fear. 

And there are many grounds for realistic pessimism about the future in 2020. 


Fear happens. 

But when it does we should not excuse or defend our fear; but should repent it. 

And we should not try to allay fear by trying to convicne ourselves that 'it won't happen'; but by reminding ourselves to trust in God.

And by recalling that this trust is solidly rational; because God is the creator, thus has an influences on every current and all possible future scenarios; and further because the creator loves us, individually, as his children. 


3 comments:

Bruce Charlton said...

Comment from Jake: "Great reminder.

What do you say to the idea that we should conform and wear tinfoil helmets etc. to assuage the fear of others?

I believe that we should demonstrate lack of fear and faith to others, and thus inspire them, rather than encouraging them to wallow in fear.

Bruce Charlton said...

@Jake - I try not to advise (except about no-brainers - like avoiding as long as possible the experimental-genetic-engineering birdemic *peck*) - my Big Thing is that people need to make up their own minds by serious intuitive reflection.

But I personally am 100% certain that mandatory tinfoil helmets increase fear A Lot - increase both the fear of the helmet wearer, and fear of the helmeted people all around; which is one of the main reasons for them (the other purpose is to depersonalise and psychologically isolate).

Jacob Gittes said...

@bruce - I know, my apologies for a query about something I should be able to discern for myself. But sometimes I just can't help myself, because the question is so pressing. And I was being a bit disingenuous, or dramatic, as I've made up my mind. And I act on it, despite the risks and occasional drama of that decision. I do get socially pressured or looked askance at based on my tinfoil hat preferences, but it seems that no decisions these days is controversy-free.