Friday 15 January 2021

"Yes, the world is going to Hell - but what can I Do about it?"

"What can I do about X?"

This kind of question is much asked - with much affectation of hand-wringing concern; but without honesty or intent. Because behind such a question lies a framework of assumptions that excuse the asker from doing anything At All. 

One assumption is that there is an It which - if done - would set everything right (or, at least, rolling the the right direction); secondly the assumption that this It could be done by Me

So the asker is asking something like: "What single thing ought I to do, that I really could do, that would decisively fix the problems of the world?"

And when they do not receive such an answer - then this is taken to mean that they need do... Nothing. At. All.


(Which means, in practice, never saying or acting in any way that is inexpedient to them over the short term, or might upset anyone who has power to hurt them - or indeed anything that might offend or annoy anyone in their social circle.) 


And here we have the basis of a helpful answer. Because the answer to "What can I do about it?" is that there are innumerable small things that can be done on the side of Good which resist and push-against evil. 

So many things as to be uncountable. And operating at many levels. With many possible good outcomes (but none of them 'guaranteed').  


In fact - the first thing that can be done is to cease actively-supporting the Hell Agenda by innumerable expressions, words and deeds; on a daily/ hourly/ minute-by-minute basis... 

Even though such expressions, words and deeds are socially sub-optimal. 

(That, in itself, is a great deal more than most people are doing.) 


More profoundly and spiritually; try to think with clarity and truth about things. This means noticing, challenging, and working to break your own bad habits of evil-aligned, Satan-supporting thinking.

(For example the practice of constructing excuses for evil; explaining it away, attributing non-evil motives. This behaviour is very, very common; almost automatic for some people - especially women.) 

And make your-self, thereby, a potential conduit for divine help; because God can do good in this world only when there are Men who are open to his guidance

Be one of those Men. 


And for modern adults; to seek and be open to God's guidance, with intent to follow such guidance; in those innumerable daily acts by which one aligns either with the divine side, or the demonic side, in the spiritual war of this world.


What can you do? What should you do? 

Make it possible for God to do good through you.

Leaving to God all strategic plans; including The Big Plan of coordinating all his dedicated helpers into an effective force for a good outcome.


You personally cannot fix the world; but you can (in ways that you cannot foreknow) become a vital part of the work by which the world starts getting fixed.  


10 comments:

Francis Berger said...

Quite frankly the best advice I've come across in light of current circumstances.

Francis Berger said...

In addition to my first comment, I'd just like to add that I really wish you had written this post before I finished building the bunker in my backyard.

Jonathan said...

Yes, this is exactly right.

Stephen Macdonald said...

Pray this daily with all the sincerity and humility you can muster:

Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name; thy kingdom come; thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread; and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us; and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. Amen.

JWM said...

What, exactly, can I do?
I can entertain fantasies about being the Cyber David who fires off that one post on the internet that goes viral, and becomes the rallying cry that rouses THE PEOPLE and brings the Adversary down.
Stranger things have happened.

But, all kidding aside, I have been thinking and praying on this very question. The Voice presents me with a single sentence:

We have to fight the darkness where we meet it.

And we meet it in our homes, on the streets, and at work and commerce, with the people we see and interact with in the common tasks of daily life.
I'm retired. So I take my fat-tire bicycle out for a ten to twenty mile cruise almost every day. I make a point of giving a smile and a "Good morning" to every unmasked pedestrian, or rider I see. Thumbs up to the joggers. "Cool dog!" to the pet owners. Big grins and thumbs up to anyone out with the kids. Sometimes I'll do a gesture where I tap my unmasked cheek, and give a wink and a thumbs up to anyone showing his face. I simply ignore the faceless.
The point is to generate as much positive energy as possible with the resources I have in my hand at the moment. I can't stop the madness, but I can toss a little brightness into someone's day.

JWM

Wm Jas Tychonievich said...

@Bruce
Excellent post.

@Frank
Isn't your first comment a Tom Swifty?

Francis Berger said...

@Wm - "What an illuminating observation, Wm!" Frank exclaimed brightly.

@Bruce - All humor aside, this really is an excellent post. One of your best.

Wm Jas Tychonievich said...

@Frank - And I’m sure you don’t say that lightly! (To be perfectly Frank, there’s absolutely nothing wrong with your name. I just can’t resist a pun.)

My name is Matt said...

Wow, this is really great. Thank you!

cae said...

I agree that this is one of your best posts!
It brings to the forefront of my mind something I've been wondering about for quite a while now...

What if (for whatever reason) God can only intervene in 'world events' if enough people pray fervently enough for Him to intervene?
Carol